Lots of fun stuff. We spent a few days in Southern Utah having an absolute ball camping and hiking. When I was younger, two of my older sisters discovered a river hike that had little waterslides and cliffs. We've been going there pretty much every year since. Its called Red Cliffs and its off the Leeds exit. We camped at Quail Creek. We caught lots of trout there. When I say we, I mean Matt, my Dad, Clint, and some random old man named John that gave them bait and showed them exactly wear to cast. For the record, I hate fish. Everything about them. Eyes, mouths, gills, and expecially their scales. Yuck.
The first day, we went to Zions and did the Emerald Pools hike. It was really rainy, but so pretty. Kate conveniently fell asleep at the very beginning of the hike, so we took turns carrying her butt. I had never really been to Zions before except for one time driving through. Matt summed it up quite nicely. "Its for geezers and granolas." Don't get me wrong, it is absolutely gorgeous, but lets be honest...
I want to share a couple funny things from the trip because I laughed really hard and want to always remember why.
First, Matt likes his food. When I was grocery shopping for the trip, he specifically asked for "flamin' hot cheetos and snacky cakes." (Ya know, the chocolate cakes made by Lil Debbie.) Well the first day at lunch, Matt got out his snacky cake and put it by his plate. He left to throw something away, and came back mere seconds later. When he got back, he couldn't find his snacky cake. He looked at Jonah (8) and it was half way down his throat. Jonah's explanation: He didn't want it to get rained on. He was dead serious. I laughed hard.
Second, the water on the hike was frigidly cold. On the way up, we did everything to be out of the water for as long as we could. We scaled along the side of the rock, and hopped from rock to rock. The most wet we got was probably waist high. As we were hiking back down, we decided, what the hay, lets go via the river. Still, it was mostly waist high. We were wading along and all the sudden Matt just disappeared. There was a random drop off and he couldn't touch. He came up out of the water screaming like a little girl. I may or may not have peed my pants laughing.
It was a really fun/ny weekend and a great way to kick off the summer season.
Monday, May 23, 2011
Zions/Quail Creek/Red Cliffs/Camping
Posted by Allie at 12:19 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comments:
I love, love, love that Red Cliffs! We used to go there, and to Zions all the time when I went to SUU because they were so close to us. In fact, I've been to Zions so many times that I can't even count. I guess I must be a geezer or a granola. Ha ha.
That story about the pie just about made me die laughing. Ha ha. Love kids.
Post a Comment