Monday, May 9, 2011

I remember my Mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all of my life

Like all y'all, I've been reflecting this past weekend on mothers. I am very grateful for the moms in my life. My own mother, of course, is such an amazing person and example to me. I am also so grateful for Matt's mom, Elena aka Gangy, for all she does for us. We have siblings, aunts, grandmas, and friends that are also great examples of what a mother should be. I have learned a lot from all these people that have helped me decide what kind of mom I want and need to be. Its like Abe Lincoln once said, "I remember my Mother's prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all of my life."


( I love the gal in the middle of Elena and Casey. Perhaps that could be Matt's birth mom?)

I love being a mom, too.


My dad teaches the gospel doctrine class in our ward, and he was teaching the lesson on eternal treasures vs. eartly treasures. Since it was on Mother's Day, he had a few people talk about what their moms had taught them to be eternal treasures. Here's what I said about my mom:

"There are a million things I have learned from my mother, but the one I would like to share is how my mom taught me the importance of developing talents. I think the gifts and talents that Heavenly Father has given us is one of our greatest eternal treasures. I am so grateful my parents encouraged me to recognize my gifts and work hard to develop my talents. Not only did they support me as I grew up dancing and performing, they taught by example as I watched them develop their own talents and share them with others. Growing up, I saw my mom play the organ, sing in the choir and play the piano more times than I can count. She taught me, by doing that, the importance of working hard and being willing to share the talents we have. I am excited to have the opportunity to be on the other end teaching and encouraging my kids and I hope to be as good of example to them as my mother was to me."

Three cheers for moms all around!

1 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

I've always loved your Mom. She's so wonderful. And I think you are a fantastic mother! I hope you had a great Mother's Day!