A week ago, we lost our free cable. (It wasn't stolen free cable...) I was devastated. I'm not into a ton of shows, but Kate loves her Nick Jr., and I love my afternoons of Friends reruns. That night, Matt was working and our internet stopped working, too. Once Kate was in bed, I had no idea what to do with myself. I curled up into a ball and rocked back and forth in the corner. I text Matt and said, "What the H did the pioneers do when their kids were asleep and their husbands were away?" I decided to maybe try reading? I picked up an Ensign and read through a few articles. There was an article about digital distractions. Hmmm. Anyway, after some serious thinking, I decided to take advantage of the free time away from TV. Let's be honest, I have seen every episode of Friends 12 times each. It really hasn't been bad at all. We played outside a lot thanks to the warmed up weather, I read my book club book, and my house is consistently clean. Oh, and did you know about the Book of Mormon? Don't worry, I'm sure we'll get Direct TV asap, but for now, I'm alright. Besides, we have netflix.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Not having Friends on is the biggest blessing a guy could ask for.
LOL!!! I know what you mean. I think about it all the time!
We don't have cable(because we are poor) and we survive:) We have never had cable and we are mocked constantly by our neighbors because we don't have more than 13 channels. By the way- Friends reruns AND Office reruns are on regular tv:)
I have no TV at all. Not even analog channels. I have all the seasons of Friends on DVD and have already watched all 10 since living in California!
But I am impressed that you discovered the wonders of reading and nature :)
one of the worst days of my life was when our stations went haywire and i was left with only kbyu. i had no kids, no husband, and no hygiene. i didn't know what to with myself. i almost felt like a drug addict coming clean.
sometimes i thank the heavens for television, and sometimes i feel like tv came straight out of hell.
I never watched TV until I got married and now I don't know what I'd do without my ability to fast-forward through commercials and watch Family Fued four times a day (I know, who in the world watches that...am I 80?).
Amazing what you can get accomplished when those small distractions aren't around anymore, eh?
P.S. That said, I'd probably die within 3 days flat without internet. I'm totally reliant.
I am going on 4 years without the "boob tube" and have not missed it at all, minus a few times this winter when I wished I could've watched 19 Kids and Counting with the Dugger family. Not even the sound works on my computer so I am completely tv free. That said, when tv is on at other people's houses it is like a treat for me and I am utterly magnetized.
HAHAHA! I would NOT know what to do with myself, Allie. Come over and play with us ok???
Post a Comment