Friday, January 23, 2009

Remembering Jake

This is pretty personal, but I want to share it anyway. Thursday the 22nd marked the 5 year anniversary of my brother in law, Jake's death. The day he died in 2004 was also a Thursday and I can recall minute by minute the events of that day. I remember a few hours that afternoon I was overcome with weird anxiety, something I hadn't often experienced. I kind of blew it off by spending time with friends. I was cheered up and ended up having a good night. I was talking with Erin and Milli in our kitchen when I got the phone call from my mom. It was 12:02 am.
I am so grateful Millhouse and Erin were with me. I love you guys.
It is very crazy that it has been five years because it seems like it was yesterday.
His kids were so young when it happened that I hope they can always hold on to the memories they have and that the stories they hear of him will give them a greater knowledge of how great their dad is.
We had a memorial dinner for him tonight and it was so great and so hard at the same time. People took turns sharing memories about him. I really wanted to speak up, but when emotional, no matter how hard I try, my voice gives out. It was heartwrenching listening to the boys share something about their dad. One thing Josh said really stuck out to me. He held up a picture that he drew of Jesus and his Dad, and said, "I don't know if its because I have seen pictures, but I feel like I remember when my mom and Dad got married." Tears were all over the place.
I want to share a few memories on this here blog, so I will always have them.
* Lake Powell: He was so much fun to have around at Lake Powell. We would do theme nights and one night was Cowboy night, so Julie made us all swing dance on top of the houseboat. Jake was a good sport and took turns dancing with all of us since he was one of like 3 men to probably 10 gals. Jessie was there that year. He made two comments about her, and I hope you don't care Jess, but he said he couldn't believe how far she would swim without a lifejacket (it was probably two miles or more), and he couldn't believe how much she could eat! He was fun to watch on the wakeboard because he would just attack it.
*My weekends in CastleDale: It was always fun to visit them when I was in High School. I would stay for a few nights and hang out with them. We made him do car dances with us and he would join in. He and Julie set Lori and I up once with some of the boys in his Young Men group. We would visit the ranch and go on drives.
*Pregnancy bets: Everytime Julie was pregnant we had an ongoing bet. I said girl, he said boy. He won everytime, obviously, and I know he was laughing at me from Heaven when both Jacob and Cameron were born. He was a great man, and I have learned again this week, how important eternal families are. I am very grateful for Jake's legacy and the opportunity we have to celebrate his life even though it is very hard to understand.






10 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much Owl! I sure love you. I remember that night too. Jake sounds like he was an awesome guy. It's neat you guys get together and remember all the good things and good times you had with him. I'm sure there will be more! Now you and Matt get your butts out here and make some memories with Jarn and I.

Kristi said...

I think it's awesome you guys had a dinner. What a good idea! Your sister Julie is such an amazing woman. I have a lot of respect for her. Thanks for sharing all of this!

Aaron and Jessie said...

Oh Allie that brought tears to my eyes. I can't imagine how difficult that would be for your family, but I think it's great you guys have nights like this to keep the memories alive. I think the only time I spent with him was on that Lake Powell trip and ya can't help but just love him. I loved that I got to dance with him and your Dad, good times!

melissa said...

I promise I love these memories that you shared. Even though i hardly know your family, let alone jake, i still really do love hearing these posts that you do. They really are touching. Thanks for the thoughts.

also, you name the date, and i'll be there waiting to teach you the Carlton.

Princess Academy said...

The dinner was a great idea --I love how close you are to your family. How heart wrenching for everyone --Your sister must be a strong women!

the murdocks said...

Oh allie, what a great post. I wish I knew him. I remember hearing about it and wishing I could've been there for you. I'm glad you have nothing but good memories! miss you

Julie Toone said...

Allie,
This was a great post...and tell matt thanks for taking the pics..I would love to have a disc. I think for now though I will steal the pics on your blog for mine. Your a great sister and I love you. Thanks for moving in with me after Jake died and the 5 years of support since! Love you!

Marisa Jean said...

I don't know that I can ever fathom the pain of losing a spouse or an in-law. I'm so glad you shared this post. I think sharing the memories of the ones who leave us for a while, helps with the grief that people often feel we just "get over" with time. Anyone who has lost someone, knows that feeling of loss never seems to go away. I loved this post and am so glad you shared it with us.

The Ceder House's said...

Thanks for sharing Allie. What a strong family you have. I am glad you can get together to celebrate your brother in-law.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

I know I'm reading this late, but thanks for sharing Al. I too remember that night and the gross feeling I got after you found out, I still get the chills. What a strong family.