Saturday, September 13, 2008

Thoughts... kind of a journal entry

Not to be cliche, but these here elections have got me thinking a lot. I'm not the most politically-intelligent person, but I do have an opinion on a few topics. I am trying to research a lot this year, so I can be an educated voter. I decided I needed to get info from places other than "The View", so I could have a more credible background. Matt sent me a speech given by Ezra Taft Benson on the proper role of government. I really liked it. If you feel like it, I encourage you to read it. Its pretty long, but its good. He also referred me to this site, for facts and views.
On another note, I have been thinking about the commandment we've been given to work hard. I think it is very important to work hard regardless what it is that you do for work. E.T. Benson says that wealth comes from hard work. Wealth is far more than money to me. Its health, well-being, education, memories, life experiences, etc etc etc. One of the greatest lessons anyone can learn is SACRIFICE. I have been thinking about this a lot lately. With Matt being self-employed in a field that he loves, I have been so thankful for his success as it allows him to a) do what he loves, and b) set his own schedule that allows him to be home with Kate and me. However, there is a con to self-employment, it being health insurance. As we've thought about this the past few months, we decided having our child insured is very important to us, and we decided to make it a priority to find a way to do so. I am so grateful that Matt found this Part-Time job at the airport that offers health insurance for PT, as well as offers shifts that won't interfere with his business and family time. I love that Matt is willing to sacrifice a few hours a day at another job to provide for his family in ways other than financially. He knows his role and he is doing a darned good job fulfilling it.
We also have made a goal to give our kids the opportunity to see many different parts of the world. I want my kids to appreciate different cultures and lifestyles. Matt and I feel it is important to give them the memories of family trips. Those experiences and memories are their own kind of investment. We weren't quite sure how we would pull it off as travel can get a bit pricy. Again, he is willing to sacrifice a few hours to achieve that goal so his family can have the benefit to travel. I just love him for that.
All in all, I am glad that despite my pride and down-right laziness in improving myself, I've got a great husband who does a shiz-load of service for the good of our little family in more ways than just bringing home the bacon. Thanks, Matt Matt.

8 comments:

John and Erin said...

Thanks for the post Owl. I feel a huge responsibility to vote and become more educated in politics seeing how we live in the most liberal place in the whole country. We've been asked to help volunteer and get the word out on Prop 8 (Which states that marriage is between a man and a woman.)and I feel awful because I haven't done a thing. Today in church all of our meetings were about the issue and being doers of the word and not just hearers. I just feel like we are in a place where it is so important that we stand up for what we believe in and do more.So I appreciate your thoughts. I'm happy for you guys that you're doing so well. And I love how much time you and Matt spend together. It's so important.

John and Erin said...

Oh and I can't get enough of the pics of Kate on the side of your blog. Matt is getting so good at pics and Kate is getting more and more darling.

the murdocks said...

I really wish I could vote...but then again I love being Canadian more. I just feel so left out when elections come around cause I make no effort to know what is going on. Matt, you are awesome for everything you do! I am jealous cause you get to take pics for a job and get to travel for free!Freak you.

Allie, nothing yet...I swear the contractions are becoming less. What is going on? Now I am hoping that she'll be a little late, but I'm quite sure she'll come while Langer is riding space mountain.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Good post Al. I don't know if we are all getting older, or if this election is really interesting, but I'm way more into it too. I as well have done a little research as well and have learned a lot. I still get a little intimidated having political discussions with people but i'm getting better. And I also love that Stacie is totally claiming her Canadian and not giving a crap about who runs the country she lives in... love her!!!
Oh and I get to hang out with your hubbie this week. We will take care of him!!!

Janette said...

What a great post Alli. I am also going to vote and am trying to learn about everything.
It also sounds like you guys are doing very well. You are such a good wife and mother. Matt and Kate are so lucky. and matt is an awesome photographer!!!

Marisa Jean said...

I've felt really sad this election. It seems that the candidates enjoy attacking each other more than tackling the problems that currently face our country. I just feel that if there isn't a good choice that I should select the lesser of two evils. I think I'm going to read the talk you put up because I need some help making a decision.

You are really lucky to have such a great husband. Matt, I approve of you 110%! I admire that you two are willing to sacrifice for your kids. Now days you don't parents that will do that. Most are so self-indulgent that they want everything for themselves and their kids come second. Good for you Allie for not nagging Matt while he works. There are a lot of wives that do that too--so you deserve credit too.

Charlynne said...

Good post Allie!

ShElbY said...

She is the cutest baby i have ever seen not even lyin i love the pics on your profile of her she is adorble =]]