Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Never thought this day would come

I have never ever in my life been interested in running. I think its boring and it hurts my hips. ( Plus, after three strides my lungs, bladder, and bowels feel like the size of jelly beans.) For the past 10ish years, anytime anyone wanted to go running, I strapped my roller blades on and tagged along that way. Lately, though, I have been thinking a lot about two things: heart disease and the extra 10 lbs I have to shed from my pregnancy. I teach dance everyday, but thats in no way considered cardio, so I feel like my heart is just rotting away. Also, I think I have relied a little bit too much on breastfeeding to burn the extra calories. I decided to conquer my bad feelings towards running and have recently started training for a 5K. I know, most of the people who read this have ran a marathon, but 3 point whatever miles seems like a marathon to me! I loaded up my ipod with music to pump me up which includes Soulja boy and Sexy Back. I am very proud of myself. I'm not going to say that I like running yet, but I do like the endorphins (sp) that come after the run. My first 5k is in September and I am determined to not take last place.

10 comments:

the murdocks said...

ALLIE! Way to go....I know this is huge for you. I feel the same way, I would love to start running and my first goal would also be a 5K. But I am not ready to be commited. Hopefully in the near future I will be determined like you. I am proud of you

Marisa Jean said...

My sister was always the same way and she just finished her first 5K and we couldn't be prouder. I run almost everyday and found when I bought the right shoes (from a running store) that suddenly my hip and knee pain went away. It was awesome. As for seeing Brianne--that's great! I saw she and her hubby at the Festival of Trees last year, but we were on our way out so we didn't get to talk much. After this week I'm done with teaching until August, my weeknights are pretty open! I'm busy during the days with work, but let's see if we can get together. I would LOVE that!

The Ceder House's said...

Allie - that is awesome! I love running 5k's! I am not a huge fan of running- but I love the feeling afterwards and the stress relief it can give you if you have the right tunes! The best part is race day when the crowd cheers you on- you feel like you are in the Olympics:) Good luck!

Jordan said...

Way to go, Allie. You'll do really well, I think.

Brilliant description of your lungs, bladder, and bowels. Hahahaha

Kristi said...

We still need to make a stroller club! Maybe we can take the babes for a jog!

The Hiatt's said...

Running is VERY hard at first. I was not a fan of running. But when I started going.. and all of the aches and pains went away.. I actually loved it and I felt odd the days I DIDNT run! ha ha! But good for you!!

Janette said...

Hey I have also just started running. At first it was hard I felt like I couldn't breath then my knees hurt. After a couple of weeks and being positive I felt way better. I definately noticed my stomach shrinking( and that was one thing that wasn't) I think that is awesome good luck with the 5k you can do it!!!

John and Erin said...

Sure proud of you Owl. Keep it up and you can't bet that I'll be at the finish line to cheer you on in.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Oh my gosh! I am so proud of you Al... this really is a break through! Hopefully you don't get runner's poo like Erin :)

Shaun and Tonya said...

Impressive -Go Allie! I've never ran a 5k --I use to be a runner by running 5 miles daily. I would love to do that again -maybe you'll inspire me Either way it is great for health!