Sunday, February 10, 2008

Old Girl : 1977-2008



Our family's horse, Old Girl, died on Saturday. She was 31 years old. It was a very sad day and rather traumatic for my nephew. My dad and Jacob were going down to feed her and they found her huddled behind the barn. Imagine being 3 years old and finding your horse like that... it was so sad! He was sobbing which made it even sadder. I walked down there with some flowers to pay my respects and couldn't help but get choked up. I was 7 when we got her and have been saddling her up since I was 8. She was a great horse. We knew her time was coming but I was hoping she would last one more year, so Kate could ride her this summer.
We are going to have a little funeral for her in the field as soon as we can get a big enough hole dug up. We'll miss you, Old Girl.

5 comments:

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

That is way sad. I'm sure she is almost like a family member. I would have loved to have met her. And good luck digging a hole... I hear there is 10 inches of snow there.

TC Jolley said...

That is so sad. I love horses. But just think, her and Kate are playing right now :)

Jennie B. said...

That's so sad!!! How's Matt's tooth? I man tagged you!

Matt McFarland said...

You forgot to mention that when they found her, she still had her eyes open because they were frozen. Jacob, 3 years old, asked, "What is she looking at?" I have been laughing about that since. I just love it.

Bridger W. said...

As for your question, sure.

As for your horse, what a shame.