Monday, January 21, 2008

In memory



Tuesday, the 22nd, will be the 4 year mark of when my brother-in-law, Jake Jorgensen, passed away. For my own journaling/grieving process, I want to write a few thoughts about the last four years. It is crazy how time has flown by since 2004 and how much has happened in that time. I was reminiscing about January '04 and the months that followed and I was overwhelmed with all sorts of emotions. My faith, along with my family's, was tried very much. Although it was for sure the hardest thing I have gone through, I can't think of a time that I have been blessed more. There are a handful of people outside my family that really came through for me during those months. To those friends, (you know who you are), I want to say thanks for all you did for me. Even if it was a simple phone call, sometimes that was all it took. I've also learned over these years, and I think it took Jake dying to realize it, is the importance of recognizing things on an eternal perspective. There have been so many instances, some very small, where I've had the feeling that Jake, and other passed family members, have been with us. A great example was just a month ago when my sister got married. It was very clear that numerous angels were there, and that is such an amazing blessing! Times you wouldn't first think that ministering angels are present, have become the times I most recognize it. I'm grateful for those experiences because it helps me remember that he's not really gone and it makes me appreciate the priesthood a little more each day.
I've also learned that the death of a loved one isn't just one trial of faith. Certain circumstances that have stemmed from that time have also been very trying. I'm continually learning the importance of relying on the Lord's will, even though it may be hard to understand. It is so easy to get caught up in how you think things should be, that you lose focus on the big picture. That has been and will be a life long challenge for me.
I'm grateful for the example and memories I have of Jake and that I can share them with his 4 boys. His kids are spitting image of him and the more time that passes, the more of Jake's qualities and characteristics come out of them. Its been interesting to watch them grow up the last few years. It has made me think about nature vs. nurture a lot. Jacob Jr., who was born after Jake died, couldn't be more of a carbon copy of him. He didn't get the opportunity to live on the ranch like his brothers, but he has he love and little personality that of a cowboy. Jordy, who was just 18 months old, eats exactly the same way he did. It will be fun to watch them as they get older to see all the different similarities that will come out.
Matt never met him because we didn't start dating until a while after, but I know he has a respect and love for him because of his faith and understanding of the plan. It will be a wonderful day when we are all reunited.

8 comments:

Aaron and Jessie said...

Oh Allie I can't even begin to imagine how difficult that must have been and still is I'm sure. It's amazing how one event and one day can change so many people's lives. You have an amazing family and I think it is so great that you can all lift each other up and make the best of this trial, I didn't know Jake real well, but I did dance with him and was around him enough to know that he was a great guy and definitely would leave his mark with everyone who knew him. Thanks for those thoughts, i always love reminders like that.

Jordan said...

This was a great read, Allie. Like Jessie said, thanks for the reminder. I think it's a good idea to step back sometimes and think about things the way you have. Thanks for sharing it with your blogging community.

TC Jolley said...

Allie, I remembered when this happened, Milli and I were so concerned for you and your sister and the kids. Your sister is my hero and so are you. Thanks for the perspective reminder. You are great!

Janette said...

Hey Allie, this reminds me of when my dad passed away. I am glad that we know that one day we will all see each other again. I found your blog from Jackies I hope that is not a prob. Mine is Natejetbostonnelson.blogspot.com check it out. When is your due date?

the murdocks said...

Oh Allie...I remember that time and feeling so helpless. I am glad it is something you can talk about now and share. It is sweet that you can feel him around still.

The Buckley's said...

That is an amazing post and just like the others said, such a good reminder to me. I am so sorry that happened. What an amazing sister you must have!

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Al, I remember the night it happened and its hard even for me to relive it. But knowing what we know makes everything seem so happy in the end. I too have grown from this experience. I never knew Jake, but I can tell he was an amazing guy, and I'm sure his kids will be just like him.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

PS did you take that picture? Because if you did, is it ok to travel to Castle Dale in your state? Just a concerned friend here.