Wednesday, January 16, 2008

12 year long pregnancy

I've been doing a lot of reading the last couple weeks about labor, delivery, and parenting. I've read in a couple different places that you are technically full-term and the baby is done developing at 37 weeks. A couple weeks ago, we had a little scare where I was contracting a lot and having excruciating pains in my back and hips. After a few hours in the hospital, I got some shot that stopped the contractions, luckily, since I was only 34 weeks. We were relieved, but at the same time a little excited because we thought she would maybe try to come early, and hoping she would be here at 37 weeks. That way, she was full term, and I could be done with this belly and jelly-bean of a bladder. (I pee nearly 59 times a day.) Anyway, so I went to the doctor last week for my 35 week appointment and she said I was 50% effaced and dilated a little bit. I was like, Yes for sure by 37 or 38 weeks, I'll be ready to go. Today I went for my 36 weeks appointment hoping I had progressed a little more, but got the news that I was the exact same as last week. The doctor said, "Your baby is just hanging out in there. She's not going anywhere." So, needless to say, our hopes of a couple weeks early are now very low. I know it will go by fast, but I seriously feel like I have been pregnant for going on 12 years! My favorite thing that people say to me is "Wow, your pregnancy has gone by sooo fast!" Ummmmmm, pretty sure its been the slowest 9 months of my life.
I'm getting really excited for her to be here! People have been so generous, I can't believe it. I had a shower last weekend given by my dance studio and I got so many things! I have two more showers this weekend, plus a ward shower at the end of the month. I am so grateful for the people willing to throw me these showers! Even if all I walk away with is a sock and a pack of diapers, I will be so grateful! I have the greatest family and friends. Love you all and thanks for being so great!

P.S. The baby's room is spec-freaking-tacular, thanks to my mom for the crib set she gave me and the white furniture that I single-handed assembled. I never knew I was so handy.

10 comments:

Jordan said...

Having baby Kate here is going to be really exciting. I love the idea of a jelly bean for a bladder.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

The reason you feel you have been prego for 12 years is because you found out you were pregnant 9 months, 3 weeks and 6 days ago. I just got the invite for one of your showers and am tempted to book a flight and come. I hate missing out on those things! I hope you have her on February 8th... sorry but I do. Love you.

Teandra said...

Good luck with everything. I hope she comes soon!

The Buckley's said...

I totally agree pregnancy is the longest 9 months EVER!!!! Don't worry though, all of the sudden you will be in labor and you won't believe it's happening so fast. Good luck with everything!!!!! It will be here soon!

Ann said...

Beleive me you'll be soooo much happier in the end if the baby comes when it's ready. Paying for the NICU is not cheap and it is so hard to look at those poor babies. I don't know if I'm invited to the ward shower, but I'm going to come and crash it anyways! :)

the murdocks said...

AAAAAAAHHHH! I am screaming with absolute delight right now. Please try and hold her in until about April 15th-ish. I really want to be there for it. And I despise that I am missing your shower tomorrow....I felt like making the invites would seem like a piece of me was there :) Miss you!

TC Jolley said...

Yeah! The McFarland family is going to grow soon! I'm so excited for you guys... post some more pictures of the nursery :)

Mark and Racquel Stallings said...

I can't wait for your baby to come! It was around this time last year that you were telling me you still weren't pregnant and now your baby is almost here! How exciting!

Jennie B. said...

You poor thing! I'll pray tonight and tell Kate to come.

J and E Mayfield said...

Allie I sure love you and can't wait to see little baby Kate! Love reading your blog you're hilarious.