With a baby on the way, we've been spending a lot of time discussing different parenting ideas. Matt says he wants to teach our kids how to work hard and how to learn responsibility. We decided a good way to teach this might be to get a pet and have the kids be in charge of caring for it. I think its a great idea, but I'm not one who loves animals. Call me insensitive, but I don't see what the big deal is with dogs and cats. I don't connect in any way with animals. Plus, Matt is allergic to dogs, so that's definitely out of the question. So, with much thought, consideration, and research, Matt has come up with a great idea of how we can pull off getting a pet without him getting allergies, and without me having to deal with the whole giving "TLC" to an animal that I don't think is that cool. 
Matt wants to get a baby pig to raise and then butcher it when it reaches 220 LBS. No, this is not a joke. He SERIOUSLY wants a pig and has already asked my dad if it can live in the barn out back. One of my favorite parts of the whole idea is that he has absolutely no idea how to raise a freaking pig. I pee my pants thinking about it because I just imagine the movie Charlotte's Web. The best part of all is what he wants to name the pig. You'd think it would be named "Wilbur" or "Oinkers". But Matt wants to name it Kelly. For no particular reason. Just a regular name. KELLY.
Fun Pig Facts and Misconceptions: ( thanks to kritterfacts.com)
Pigs were introduced to North America in 1539 by Hernando de Soto.
Pigs have a well developed sense of smell. They can find things underground and have been used to find truffles, a French delicacy, or to sniff out drugs in service to policemen.
Pigs would rather stay clean if given the opportunity. They frequently wallow in mud because they have no sweat glands, and the mud helps to keep them cool and to avoid insects.
Pigs are very intelligent animals. They are often regarded by scientists as being the most intelligent of livestock.
Pigs are considered by many experts to be more trainable than dogs or cats.
KELLY:
Saturday, November 17, 2007
Matt's great parenting idea
Posted by Allie at 10:12 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
I am giddy with glee right now for a few reasons. First I must pay tribute to your incredible music selection. THANK YOU for bringing back such fantastic memories from apt. #223. (And other memories of course). But salt-n-peppa was by far one of my favorite things. And to think Jessie almost got Shedaisy. Can you imagine how different our experience would have been? Also, that you are going to raise livestock in your backyard. But most importantly that fact that you are naming your pig Kelly. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. Please give Matt a hug from me. I miss you guys with all my heart.
In my defense, I'm not just going to buy a pig and start raising it. I've got some serious research to do and plenty of hog farmers to talk to. It's still a few months out, but I dig the idea.
Also, I'm already annoyed by that music on there. I'm going to need it off asap.
Ya, why not a gerbal, or a hampster? They are cheaper and don't live as long. Just something to think about.
I can't slaughter a hamster for 160 pounds worth of meat. Good idea, but I don't actually want a pet. I just want to try it, and then eat the "fruits" of my labor. If it works out, then I'll have my kids eventually raise some pigs or other animals. Gerbils and hamsters just aren't the same.
What is the deal with pigs? Seriously for the past 6 months John has been obsessed with my uncles pigs and he always wants to go look at them. We've already talked to my uncle and next year when they go to the pig pick I guess we are going with them. Ha Ha. I loved the blog!
Allie, I couldn't agree more with you on the whole TLC for animals, I just never will connect with animals and thats that, but at least you are willing to give it a try even if it is with a pig. Good for you! Honestly I think ya'll are meant to raise a pig, seiously who else has the living conditions as you with a barn and everything. I say do it! and of course Kelly must be the name, that's the best part about it. Also, love the music and yes salt-n-peppa was one of the best choices I've made in my life (I loved that Stacie remembered that)
I think you are doing the right thing, this child needs Kelly in her life. It will definately save her from doing drugs and being premiscuous (sp). But the thing I'm having a hard time with is this, you are going to get so attached you will never be able to go through with the slaughtering thing Matt. And then you will have a pig for like 60 years, don't they live that long? I think you two will ge gems at parenting. Can't wait!
Post a Comment