Monday, April 9, 2012

Easter

This year I wanted really focus on the true meaning of Easter. For myself. I watched the videos on lds.org, I read some conference talks, and I read the lyrics of the Easter Hymns in the hymn book and children's song book. I really felt the spirit so strong at church on Sunday. I was able to play the hymns for sacrament meeting and also for the musical numbers. Don't you think music adds so much? I love it. I definitely felt like my testimony was a bit strengthened on Sunday.

We tried to steer away from the Easter Bunny for a few reasons. A) Kate asked me, "Soooo, a bunny comes? Like a real bunny? How does he carry the baskets?" She was skeptical and really wasn't buying it. Instead of playing it up, I just said, "Well, don't worry about the bunny. Just be good and you'll get a basket of candy. B) Who made up the Easter Bunny? It makes no sense to me. I love the whole Santa thing because i feel like you can coordinate it to the true meaning of Christmas, but a bunny? It's weird. I like easter egg hunts, but that is really the only secular easter tradition I like. C) We are trying to teach Kate more about the gospel since she spends the majority of her life watching Phineas and Ferb.
At times, we really thought she was getting the true meaning, but then other times she would say, "Easter is all about the candy." Baby steps. She's 4.

At Gangy's, we did a small egg hunt for Kate, Zach, and cousin Evy.




4 comments:

Kristi said...

Yes! I completely agree about the bunny thing and haven't pushed it either. I dare anyone to show me a mall easter bunny that isn't just completely freaky looking either. No way to relate giant bunny to atonement and resurrection, sorry. I love that kate wasn't even buying it!

The Ashworthwhiles said...

Cute. I just did my blog and realized I probably put up the same pics as you since Matt sent them to me. We will enjoy them twice!

The Ceder House's said...

Good job. Our Easter Bunny brings books about Jesus and church movies- that is the best way I could think to come out with some sort of gospel mixed in with a bunch of dumb candy:)

Marisa Jean said...

The bunny is a little creepy. I remember being a little weirded out by it when I was younger. Nice work bringing the spirit into your life. I felt the spirit extremely strong during church as well, but I wasn't prepared. I need to follow your example. :)