Thursday, November 17, 2011

Grateful Attitude

With the holidays right around the corner, I have been doing what most of you have been doing. Some reflecting. Although I love that Thanksgiving does this to me, I'm sad I only show gratitude once a year. I need to work on that.
(Bytheway, do you all know what REALLY happened on the first Thanksgiving? I just learned some details, and its got nothing to do with giving thanks. Yikes.)

Some little things I am thankful for this year---

These guys:

They are number 1 on my grateful list every year. I don't know what I would do without my two besties. They drive me more insane than anyone, but they also make me laugh harder than anyone. If I am lucky enough to be blessed with more kids, I hope I get a Zach Jr. and a Kate Jr. (with maybe a little less sass than Kate Sr. Actually, her sass is pretty funny, so I'd be fine with it.)
I have been having a lot of fun with Kate and Zach. We've been prepping for the holidays, so Kate and I have had a lot of discussions about the true meaning of Christmas and what everything represents. Matt and I have been talking a lot about how to teach our kids the true meaning and mixing it with Santa. Its tricky business, but I've tried to relate everything we do or buy to the Savior and his birth. For example, our Christmas tree lights represent the light of Christ, the star on the tree is the star of Bethlehem , we get to ask for three gifts on Christmas morning because there were three wisemen who brought baby Jesus gifts (I got that one from a girl in my ward, and I like it.) I think Kate kind of gets it. I hope so. She made me LOL the other day when she said, "Mom, Chase says Santa is watching me right now. That's creepy." Let's be honest---she's got a point.
Another fun thing we've started this week is reading Winnie the Pooh. The real one written by A.A. Milne. Its my favorite book of all time. I've been reading a chapter to Kate at night. Its fun to watch her process it all. I'd give anything for a peak into her imagination.


I am also grateful this year for our home. Its just a tiny house that fits our little family perfectly. I am glad to be in a safe neighborhood close to family, friends, and work. Kate is in a great little preschool just around the corner, and has a teacher that I think she likes more than she likes me. We've met some great neighbors and the ward is awesome. We lucked out after the heckish house-hunting. Probably can't ever move again because the thought of doing that again makes me ill.

Oh, and I can't forget to say thanks for this guy:

He works real hard for us. He makes us laugh and cooks us good food. He takes me on trips (thanks to Delta) and has introduced us to cultures we'd never even knew about. And he watches Parenthood with me, and that deserves the biggest thanks of all.

Happy Thanksgiving week everyone!

1 comments:

Marisa Jean said...

That santa comment by Kate made me laugh out loud, too! Bwahahahaha! Too funny!

I hope you'll have more kids. They're so stinkin' cute and you're such a good mom that I think kids would be lucky to come into your home...which I still haven't seen. I kind of fail.