Monday, February 21, 2011

My birthday was Saturday. I am 28 these days. I know I'm not old, but it is older. I still feel (and act) like an 18 year old. I was looking in the mirror the other day, and I have crows feet by my eyes and some new lines around my mouth. I can take it, but I won't lie--I have looked up some anti-aging tips. My body is feeling it too (maybe two pregnancies is adding to it.) I tried to demonstrate a toe-touch for one of my classes full of 3 and 4 year olds. Whoa. However, there is no other stage of life I would rather be in right now. We don't own a mansion, we feel like we are splurging when we eat at Apollo Burger, we bumped chests when bought a mini van, and we feel dressed up and fancy when we are wearing something nicer than sweats. We love it. I can barely touch my toes, my hips hurt after one hour of teaching, and landing a double pirouette happens 1 out of 10 times. But, we's got two kids that are funny and family and friends within a 10 minute drive. Life is good.

For my birthday, Zach greeted me at 3 AM with a fever of 101, barf from coughing, and hives, which turned out not being an allergic reaction to Julie's house. Sad kid. We took him in and turns out the kid has RSV. Poor little guy. Kate started coughing a ton that morning, too. With that news, we spent my birthday inside all day cuddling and watching movies. Elena came over for a few hours that night so I could go to dinner with some friends. I laughed/peed so hard for 2 straight hours. It was exactly what I wanted for my birthday---laughter and good gossip. I wish I would have gotten a pic of the fondue Sara bought for us. Delish! Thanks Sara, Stace, and Noelle.
Today, Matt watched the kids for me while I got a pedicure and went to lunch with my mom. I feel like I have gotten a good amount of time out of the house, and I'm excited to cuddle next to our humidifier the rest of the day with Zach and Kate.

4 comments:

Elle and Clint Stallings said...

Happy Birthday!!! I love everything you said. Isn't being a 28 so new and yet at the same time very familiar. Thanks for reminding me about a few things. Sometimes its great to know that your not alone :)

Marisa Jean said...

I totally know the feeling. Love this stage in life, but sometimes when I realize that in 10 years I'll be 38, it kind of scares me. A lot. I've noticed the saggy skin already; that said, I wouldn't trade where I am for anything.

Poor little Zach. :( RSV is terrifying! And poor mommy for having to be the strong one through it all. That's tough.

By the way, that picture of him on the side bar makes me smile every time I see it. He's sssssoooo cute!

The Ceder House's said...

RSV? Yuck- not a fun Birthday surprise! I am glad it sounds like you had a good one after all! Um- yep, I have crows feet too. It's too bad I thought tanning everyday when I was 16 would be the right thing to do. I am sure I will look 40 years old by the time I am 29.

Aaron and Jessie said...

Oh Al, I just love you, I seriuosly crack up all the time when I read your blog. I can relate in so many ways, like still feeling like I'm 18 when we used to do Brittany Spears music videos and be sneakdawgs, the toe touch thing, feeling fancy in clothes other than sweats, yep I hear ya.
So sorry to hear about Zach, I sure hope he's doing better.
Glad you had a fun birthday, though, and so sad I missed out on a fun night to celebrate.
I'm having your bro over for dinner tomorrow. I've talked to him on the phone twice in the last 2 days.