I have to vent for a minute about something that happened to me today. I went to Taco Time today to grab Matt and I some crisp bean burritos. I pulled up to the drive thru, and rolled down my window. The lady taking my order was clearly hispanic. I said my order exactly like this: " I'll have two crisp pinto bean burritos and one soft taco, please." I feel like that was very clear and concise as to what I wanted. The lady repeated my order back to me, but all I could catch was, ".... chicken... tostada....... total.... thank you." I thought to myself, ummmmmmmmmm. So I said, "Excuse me? I think you have my order wrong." She didn't respond. Getting a little annoyed, I said, "Hello? Are you there?" She mumbled a yes. So, i repeated my order to her a little more clear, even though the first time was clear. She didn't repeat my order, she just said thank you. I decided to pull forward and just check the bag when she gave it to me to make sure it was all in there. She opened the window and said a total in a language that very well could have been cantonese. So, not knowing what the heck she said, I handed her a $10 bill. After getting my change, she said something else in some language. I said, "What was that?" She just looked at me like I was an idiot. By this point, I was furious becuase I'm sorry, but I was in fetching Sandy, Utah. Not a foreign country. I just said no thanks hoping that was the correct answer. She handed me my food and shut her window without another word. It was miraculously all correct.
I guess what I was so riled up about was the fact that she couldn't and didn't speak English and she was working a drive up window. Don't get me wrong, I am all about equal opportunity employment, but I feel strongly that if a foreign person is going to be in a position where they are required to communicate with the customers, they should learn the native language. Which in this case is English.
Thanks for listening.
Tuesday, October 23, 2007
Just real quick...
Posted by Allie at 12:35 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Allie! Hi it's Tamara...last time I talked to you was at 1800 contacts!Ha! I was on a friend of a friend's blog and saw a link to yours! Your blog is so cute and it sounds like you are doing good. Let's keep in touch. I love blogging! our blog is www.toddtamandpreslee.blogspot.com.
HAHAHAHHAHAHHAHH...I was waiting for you to say that she pissed in your bag or something....but nope...just that she couldn't speak english.HAHAHAHA. No, but I totally know what you mean. And yes...I think we should move to Utah! hey...maybe next july....?
I would have to agree with your frustration. I know that if I ever moved to another country I would try my hardest to figure the language out and I sure wouldn't work where I couldn't communicate with them.
We used to live in Glendale, the ghetto. I feel you on this. I felt like we lived in Mexico, but no, it's UTAH! Shouldn't everyone's FIRST language be English?
Jokes about moving...but hey...maybe soon. Ya never know it could be next summer ;) We'll see what happens. And I got your text yesterday. PLEASE don't tempt me to fly out for the barn. I have never wanted to go to something so bad. especially since you mentioned it might be a stomp! Please don't have a dance...I can't miss out that much. MAN I wanna come so freaking bad
Love the story owl! It made me laugh.
I'm glad to see you are promoting something positive like bigotry. I feel for those peeps. For all you know that lady got a job at the local Taco Slime in hopes that she could mop some floors and perhaps fry a crisp bean burrito every now and again but the manager tossed her on the ol' microphone to hablar some ingles. Cut her some slack. I've been in a similar situation. It ain't easy to learn another language especially when you grow up in a country that doesn't put as much emphasis on education. When it's all said and done, I prolly would have been annoyed as well.
Promise I know exactly what you mean, but seriously, that was a fantastic story! I loved it!!
Yeah I was at Gen X clothing and totally had the same thing happen to me.... oh wait I think I was a minority there anyway, I was probably the ignorant one. You can vent anytime to us A-flow
Post a Comment