Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Haunted Barn Party

Every Halloween, my family throws a Halloween party in the big barn out back. The past couple of years, we've set it up as a haunted house maze for the neighbor kids, family, and friends. This year, though, my dad hurt his knees and there is no way we could have set it up without him. SO, instead we just decorated the barn and had a big bash. There were games for all the kids---halloween bingo, bobbing for donuts and cookie decorating. My mom made some killer homemade rootbeer and caramel apples. And Matt made a couple of CD's, one being a dance CD, so we could have a little halloween stomp. The stomp actually didn't happen because no one, besides my aunt Laurie and Melissa Weidner Elder, were willing to break out of their shell. There were a lot of fun costumes. I dressed up as Hannah Montana from Disney Channel, and Matt was an old man named Lamont. Amidst the decorating, we forgot to invite a lot of people, so the turout ended up being rather random. It was still a fun night though. Next year, we're hoping to make it a haunted maze again, because nothing beats that. We've had a fun halloween season full of parties and pumpkins.

Hannah Montana and Lamont:



Playing a little Halloween Bingo:






I am excited for the next few months! A lot of things will go on. First of all, I'm nearing 6 months along, so I've only got 3 more months until Baby Kate (that's her name for now) joins our family. Crazy, I feel like I've been pregnant for 13 years, but at the same time, 3 months will go quick. I'm excited though! Also, Matt and I are going to be moving into a house in December. My sister, Julie, and her family are moving, so we will be renting her house from her for awhile until we can afford to buy it. Hopefully that will be in a year or so. I'm excited to decorate baby's room and get our house all McFarlandy. Its a big step, but we're feeling good about it. Plus, the next two months are by far my favorite of the year... Thanksgiving and Christmas are the happiest holidays. I'm always cheery. Plus, even though it gets pretty freezing, nothing beats getting warm by a fire and drinking hot chocolate around the Christmas Tree. I'm also way excited to start making homemade Christmas cards. I started this tradition a few years ago with my roommates in college, and have looked forward to it every year. Its my favorite craft. LIfe will be changing for the McFarlands a lot in the next few months, but they are all good changes. I'm feeling great!

10 comments:

Teandra said...

That sounds fun! You look great for 6 months!

Aaron and Jessie said...

I'm sure glad we came to the Haunted Barn bash (sorry we were so late). I'm sad I wasn't there when you were thinking of having a stomp, I'm always up for a good dance party. You guys really had my neices and nephews spooked with all the creepy decorations, they kept talking about how scared they were. Did Matt make up that name for the old man or is that really a person? I'm excited for all your plans - baby, new house, holidays! yeah!! Your house will have to be the new party house cause its so dang big!

Matt McFarland Photography said...

That character, Lamont, is from a couple of my youtube videos. I was Flava Flav at work and the kids that I teach loved it.

uvtcharl.blogspot.com said...

Umm... I talked to you yesterday on the phone and you did not mention to me that you were moving into your sisters house!!! That is huge. I'm way excited for you. Oh and I love the name Kate, its a winner. Oh and i'm still mad at you for last night whore! But I still love ya!

the murdocks said...

I love seeing you as a pregnant Hannah Montana...but I don't love that look 3 months along. It's always fun to see what you will cook up for Halloween. I had a flashback of us at the USU Howl in skin tight dance costumes...and me being at least 20 pounds overweight. I'm so bummed I missed out at the barn bash..dang it looked like fun. I am truly jealous of your new living conditions...it's just not fair you get a big beautiful home to live in. And I LOVE the name Kate! Keep it!

Ashley said...

Cute costume! It's fun to see your cute little belly:) It sounds like you guys are going to have a busy/exciting couple of months. Are you having a baby shower???

The Ceder House's said...

Pregnant Hannah Montana is the best costume ever! I wish I could have made it to the Bash- but life's been crazy. That is awesome that you are going to have a whole huge house to live in- plenty of room for the baby!

melissa said...

I feel honored you through my name in your post, but for reals, it really was way fun! You guys did such a cute job at the barn! Seriously Allie, thanks for the invite!! We loved it!!

Jordan said...

Allie,

I love visiting the McFarland blog. The Halloween Bash sounded like it was a great time as always. I'm bummed I missed out...I totally forgot that I had to work that night. I would have loved to see that Hannah Montana cosutme in person! Hahahaha! Brilliant.

Also, I'm extremely excited about you guys moving into Julie's house. Congrats! I told Matt that if you need help moving, please let me know. If you're moving in December, I should be around, so just let me know. I haven't seen you guys in a way long time!

cami said...

Looks like you guys had a great Halloween. I love Hannah Montana with a belly! By-the-way...TAG! Go check out my blog :)